Construction on a $4.7 million project to resurface and improve U.S. 98 between the East Pass (Marler) Bridge and Airport Road in the City of Destin (Okaloosa County) is complete.
The project included:
• Milling and resurfacing.
• Sidewalk improvements.
• Access management improvements at median openings.
• Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) upgrades.
• New signage and pavement markings.
• Adding four-foot bicycle paths along each side of U.S. 98.
• New flashing beacon sign on the East Pass (Marler) Bridge.
A new flashing beacon sign with the message “be prepared to stop” is now installed on the crest of the East Pass (Marler) Bridge. The new sign provides advanced warning for U.S. 98 eastbound drivers when traffic is heavy approaching the Stahlman Avenue traffic signal near the foot of the bridge.
The new sign enhances safety for drivers by alerting them to slow down or stop.
With completion of the U.S. 98 construction effort, drivers are reminded that the speed limit between Airport Road and the East Pass (Marler) Bridge is 35 mph.